Thursday, December 6, 2007

Introducing Pat

This is Pat, not Andy. Like girls and math, we don't understand technology. But lets set the record straight. We may not make smart decisions, ever, but if you sat in an English class with either of us, or philosophy, and we made a comment, you would be highly impressed with our intelligence and then wonder where that intelligence went when we thought it would be a good idea to yell back blindly at someone who has insulted you on the train, only to find out you have threatened to beat down a 8 year old. And then yell anyways. Though that may sound just mean, when you consider that thought was put into the action, its dumb.
So we're smart, but make terrible decisions with a passion. Often I find myself looking at my future, with the good decision on one hand, and the terrible one on the other. With glee I throw myself towards doom.
As Andy said, not all bad decisions involve alchohol, but some do. My most recent decision has both. Let me blog about it.
I have had trouble lately deciding between two girls, one of whom offers a relationship, the other just trouble and maybe occasional fun. See, right there! Already a normal person doesn't even debate this, they go for the healthy, happy relationship. But no, for me, this is a drawn out painful decision. Eventually, one Sunday night, with finals hovering over my head and a fifth of rum sitting behind me, I have an idea.
I can't make this decision because I'm not loose enough, I don't have the right mindset. But maybe, maybe if I get drunk, reallllly drunk, I can find out. The test? See who I text more. Whichever girl I send more rambling, pathetic drunk texts to, that is the girl I choose. I'm a romantic at heart. So, after consulting with friends all telling me its a terrible idea, I start drinking.
By the end of the night, I have a clear victor, my drunken self has made a decision for the rest of me. Now, the thing about that? Well, sometimes, later, your sober self disgrees with your drunk self. But it's already gone ahead and ensured some consequences for you. Like forcing a conversation with the lady, where you have to avoid explaining why exactly you were drinking and texting her on a Sunday night. And you have to go back on the decision that your drunk self made, which is awkward.
So, while it is easy to see someone making such awkward mistakes and decisions whilst drunk, what makes it trully horrendous is intentionally pursuing such a move. Really, never, ever decide to leave major life decisions up to an alchoholic stupor. Except college admissions, I'd probably be happier if I was drunk then.
Also, there's potentiality that either girl reads this. Making this post itself a lurking terrible decision.
-P.T.

No comments: